Kawai (Masao) Collection: Films and Photographs on Primatology, 1959−1975.
Primatology had been mainly developed by researchers of Kyoto University in its early days, starting from a research on Japanese monkeys in Kojima island. This collection consists of materials left by a professor emeritus Masao Kawai, who was one of the pioneers. The collection includes the world’s first films on mountain gorillas in the wild, films on social behavior of gelada baboons, films and photos on natural hybrid baboons. Folk customs in Africa, where the researches were carried out, are also recorded.
- [Name of Creator(s)] Masao Kawai, Kenji Yoshiba
- [Date] 1959–1975 (mainly 1970s)
- [Archivist and Date] 2016
- [Extent] 720 negative films, 6800 slides, 10 of 16mm format films
- [Existence and Location of Copies] 4853 metadata records
- [Finding Aid (Peek)] https://peek.rra.museum.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ark:/62587/ar62321.62321?ln=en